Newton County, Mississippi founded and organized February 26, 1836 and named after the famous scientist and philospher “Sir Isacc Newton.” Newton County is located in east central Mississippi connecting 568 square miles and is the only perfectly square county in the state. The county seat of government is located at Decatur. Newton County is part of the purchase that was made by the U.S. Government and the Choctaw Indians. The treaty called Dancing Rabbit Creek “Chookta Hilta Bogue” which was concluded and signed on September 28, of 1830.
<a href=”http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/?n=safe”><img border=”0″ alt=”Stay Aware, Stay Safe” width=”100″ src=”/images/rtimages/jan/Icons/SAFE_ICON2.gif”></a>